Put down the Campbell’s soup can and make this instead. I promise it’s easy. The ingredients are cheap, and you can leave several out if you want. It’s snowing where I live in Charlotte, NC; snow and soup go together like peas and carrots. Carnivores love it, herbivores love it, everyone loves it. You’re snowed in with nothing to do, so warm up from the inside with a hearty potato soup. It goes great with wine!
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 can corn
- 4 cups kale, ribs removed & torn into bite-sized pieces
- 5 medium red potatoes, skinned &cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can white beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- ½ tsp. rosemary
- ½ tsp. paprika
- Heat EVOO over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft (about 5 mins).
- Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add broth and last 6 ingredients in list. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and let simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in kale and corn. Simmer 10 more minutes.
- Puree mixture in blender until smooth.
- Add black pepper if desired, but do not over-salt.
I’ve made several variations of this soup, and they’re all great. You can use any type of potatos. You can skip some of the herbs and spices. You can use broccoli instead of kale. You can skip the corn. (Just don’t skip all these things or you’ll end up with nothing.) If you have a fancy immersion blender, by all means, use that. The possibilities are endless!
I hope you enjoy this soup. Stay safe and warm. Tell me how you modified it. Namaste.